Welcome To UTPedia

We would like to introduce you, the new knowledge repository product called UTPedia. The UTP Electronic and Digital Intellectual Asset. It stores digitized version of thesis, dissertation, final year project reports and past year examination questions.

Browse content of UTPedia using Year, Subject, Department and Author and Search for required document using Searching facilities included in UTPedia. UTPedia with full text are accessible for all registered users, whereas only the physical information and metadata can be retrieved by public users. UTPedia collaborating and connecting peoples with university’s intellectual works from anywhere.

Disclaimer - Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this web site.Best viewed using Mozilla Firefox 3 or IE 7 with resolution 1024 x 768.

Investigation on Cold Flow Properties of Biodiesel from Rubber Seed Oil, Palm Oil and its Blending

Ishak, Muhamad Faiz (2012) Investigation on Cold Flow Properties of Biodiesel from Rubber Seed Oil, Palm Oil and its Blending. Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
Download (791Kb)

Abstract

This research aims to discover the effects of mixing two types of biodiesel which are; biodiesel from rubber seed and biodiesel from palm oil, to the cold fiow properties of the biodiesel. The cold flow properties had always become the major problem for biodiesel as compared to petroleum based diesel due to its high amount of saturated fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) components (Joshi &Pegg, 2007). Both biodiesel are self produces by using optimum conditions available and mixed by desired ratio to discover which ratio of biodiesel from rubber seed and biodiesel from palm oil give the best flow properties. Fresh palm oil obtain from shop is used and it goes through a two step transesterification with 1:6 mole ratio of oil to methanol at 55°C and constantly mixed for 30 minute. 1%KOH by weight is used as catalyst and 70% of mixed KOH methanol solution is used on the first transesterification and the other 30%goesto the next. As for the rubber seed oil, crude palm oil from Vietnam is used and it goes through a series of esterification and transesterification. As for esterification, 1:13 mole ratio of oil to methanol is at 65°C and constantlymixed for 120 minute. This follows with transesterification, with mole ratio of 1:6.5 mole ratio of oil to methanol at 65°C and constantly mixed for 120 minute. The fatty acid methyl ester(FAME) content is analyze before mixed and 7 samples different mixed ratio of both biodiesel are obtain and ready for cold flow properties analysis. The cold flow properties measured are the cloud point and the cold filter plugging point. Other parameters that will be measured during the research arc densities, water content, and carboncontent of mixture of the two biodiesel. The result showsthat the sample which shows the best cold flow properties is sample POO which has cloud point of 4.2°C and cold flow plugging point of 0°C.

Item Type: Final Year Project
Academic Subject : Academic Department - Chemical Engineering - Process Safety
Subject: T Technology > TP Chemical technology
Divisions: Engineering > Chemical
Depositing User: Users 2053 not found.
Date Deposited: 25 Oct 2013 09:49
Last Modified: 25 Jan 2017 09:40
URI: http://utpedia.utp.edu.my/id/eprint/9863

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

More statistics for this item...