Welcome To UTPedia

We would like to introduce you, the new knowledge repository product called UTPedia. The UTP Electronic and Digital Intellectual Asset. It stores digitized version of thesis, dissertation, final year project reports and past year examination questions.

Browse content of UTPedia using Year, Subject, Department and Author and Search for required document using Searching facilities included in UTPedia. UTPedia with full text are accessible for all registered users, whereas only the physical information and metadata can be retrieved by public users. UTPedia collaborating and connecting peoples with university’s intellectual works from anywhere.

Disclaimer - Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this web site.Best viewed using Mozilla Firefox 3 or IE 7 with resolution 1024 x 768.

An experimental study on microstructure of Friction Stir Welded plates

Mohd ‘Arriffuddin bin ‘Allauddin, Mohd ‘Arriffuddin (2009) An experimental study on microstructure of Friction Stir Welded plates. Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Sri Iskandar,Tronoh,Perak. (Unpublished)

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

Friction Stir Welding (FSW) is a solid state welding process for joining aluminum and other metallic alloys and has been employed in aerospace, rail, automotive and marine industries. The welding parameters and tool pin profile play a major role in defining weld quality. The objective of this project is to compare and characterize the different welded region occurred within the aluminum alloy when it undergoes the Friction Stir Welding process. The grade of the aluminum alloy has been identified from the wrought 5xxx series base on the EDX results which indicates the percentage weight of aluminum of 99.04% and the remaining are magnesium which comprises of 0.96%. Two plates of aluminum alloy work piece were set up butted-joint and clamped rigidly to perform the welding operation. The welded sample was examined using the optical microscope in order to analyze the development of microstructure across the welded area. Four different regions can be observed from the welded sample, which are the nugget zone, thermo mechanically affected zone (TMAZ), heat affected zone (HAZ) and also the base metal. Relatively the grain shapes were deformed into fine and small equiaxed grains at the nugget zone to a much coarser and larger grain size as it heads out towards the base metal. The development of the grains is due to the dynamic recrystallization phenomena and also the effect of thermal cycle with respect to the Friction Stir welding process. Different sets of parameters have been tested on the work piece with varying rotational speed (rev/min) and also the feed rate (mm/min). Also observed from the sample was the defect “worm hole”, which might have to do something with the design of the welding tool.

Item Type: Final Year Project
Subject: T Technology > TJ Mechanical engineering and machinery
Divisions: Engineering > Mechanical
Depositing User: Users 5 not found.
Date Deposited: 11 Jan 2012 12:24
Last Modified: 19 Jan 2017 15:48
URI: http://utpedia.utp.edu.my/id/eprint/693

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item