Welcome To UTPedia

We would like to introduce you, the new knowledge repository product called UTPedia. The UTP Electronic and Digital Intellectual Asset. It stores digitized version of thesis, dissertation, final year project reports and past year examination questions.

Browse content of UTPedia using Year, Subject, Department and Author and Search for required document using Searching facilities included in UTPedia. UTPedia with full text are accessible for all registered users, whereas only the physical information and metadata can be retrieved by public users. UTPedia collaborating and connecting peoples with university’s intellectual works from anywhere.

Disclaimer - Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this web site.Best viewed using Mozilla Firefox 3 or IE 7 with resolution 1024 x 768.

Plasma Gasification to Produce Gaseous Fuels from Oil Palm's empty Fruit Bunch

Mohd Azmi bin Mohd Dzaki, Mohd Azmi (2009) Plasma Gasification to Produce Gaseous Fuels from Oil Palm's empty Fruit Bunch. Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Sri Iskandar,Tronoh,Perak. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Download (103Kb) | Preview
[img]
Preview
PDF
Download (6Mb) | Preview

Abstract

As the title in this project suggests, this project is mainly about using plasma gasification to produce gaseous fuels from waste biomass. The waste biomass referred here is the waste biomass that comes from oil palm plantation. Being one the world largest producer of palm oil, Malaysia generates a huge quantity of oil palm biomass. In oil palm plantation, only 10% is the finished products; palm oil and palm kernel oil. The remaining 90% (empty fruit bunches, fibers, fronds, trunks, kernels, palm oil mill effluent) was discarded as waste, and either burned in the open air or left to settle in waste ponds. This waste could be converted to useful gaseous fuels using proper system/process. The objectives of this project are to do research on plasma gasification and investigate whether plasma gasification is a feasible choice to produce gaseous fuels from waste biomass that comes from oil palm plantation. The project is feasible so a small-scale/ lab scale of the system is made. This system performs the process of plasma gasification. For the methodology, this project are completed in a 3-phase method; Extensive Literature Review, Design and Prototyping, and Experiment and Data Compilation. In the early stages of this project, literature reviews are done extensively. All details and information regarding plasma gasification and oil palm waste biomass were compiled. The type of waste biomass chosen for this project is Empty Fruit Bunch (EFB).Next, the Design and Prototyping phase. In this stage, the selection of plasma generator’s type is done first before designing and constructing it. It is very important to select the most feasible type of plasma generator. In the last phase, experiments are conducted and the results are validated using FTIR analysis and CHNS analysis. From there, the analysis will help determine whether plasma gasification can be used to produce gaseous fuels from oil palm’s empty fruit bunch.

Item Type: Final Year Project
Subject: T Technology > TH Building construction
Divisions: Engineering > Mechanical
Depositing User: Users 5 not found.
Date Deposited: 11 Jan 2012 12:24
Last Modified: 25 Jan 2017 09:44
URI: http://utpedia.utp.edu.my/id/eprint/710

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

More statistics for this item...